Friday 2 September 2022

A new road named beer fest

 Afternoon yall. Long time no read eh?

Later am going to the West Bar Triangle beer festival - but 3 or 4 weeks ago I went to the Abbeydale Road beer festival - here]'s what I encounteerd.

The day before I had met a chap in S.M.o.t.D whose name I have forgotyten - he said he may be interested in going to the Abbeydale Road beer festival, and despite my concerns that it was all Sheffield beers (not all of them are good lets not fiorget) I opted to start at about 1400 - at the Beer Engine. Which is not on Abbeydale Road. As ever the beer was ace - a Black IPA at 6.7% from Phantom brewing, which I enjoye sat in the sushine in the garden.

From there I snaked my way along the back streets before coming out accross from the Cremorne - not been in for a few years and I had an excellent half of track on Cftp. And then I started - sort of. Jabarwocky (AKA Jabeerwocky) is right at the end of London Road. Sat in the beer garden you can see the Abvbeydale Road Sign - and talking to Chris the licensee - they weren't invited. So I got a whole pint of Kernel IPA at 7.1% on keg from the future and sat in the beer garden with Peter Hudson - who had just finished the Abbeydale Road Beer Festival.I have to say we were both gobsmacked that this wasn't part of the same. Cracking pub.

I officially started just over the road at the Bear. It was packed. I queued to get in, and saw the drunkest lass I think have ever seen. Its important to point out that I too get drunk sometimes - there's a reason why am called the Beefdozer - but having watched her clamber the stairs from the back room with 6 glasses on her hands and arms, half of whivich she dropped, one of hwhich the barman saved), I felt I had to ask her who she was and where she had been.

she was a Sheffield lass called Sarah who had spent a long time at school and uni in Lancaster. She claimed to have done the who;e festivel and to be heading home soon. A man from the saaaaarf joined us and she quickly stole his half and downed it and fell out of the door. I said " I think that lass has gone" He said " I reckon she already was gone!". I supped and left shortly after this - in all the excitement I sadly forget what I had but there was a pint of it - maybe Loxley?

Next to the equally rammed Dead Donkey - in here am certain I was on BbNo and had a pint of their session IPA also on kftf. I got the last seat inside and watched the crowds of drinkers outside.

I avoided Tap & Snap because it looked like an 18-30 bar in Menorca and instead popped into Turners. Inside they had a good range of S.M.o.t.D on and I saw the fabulous Kieron Turney who had come in with some former pupils (now in their early 20's!). It was great to catch up with Mr Turney whilst enjoying what may have been the excellent Laska Pils, and it's such a long time since I last went in there I have to mention how much it has changed!

Next to a new pub to mme - The Barrow Boy. In here I received my first stamped card, and had a pint of Heist from kftf. I also got a table and sat in the melee in relative calm! My first trip wa much appreciated.

Next was the most disapointing venue - the Picture House Social. It was so dark when I got in that I walked carefully and slowly to the bar - and then couldn't see what was on. When the lass told me I asked her which brewery they were (they may have all been Thornbridge?) she didn't know but once aware I bought a half and slithered aimlesly towards what I hoped was a seat. Mr H later said that there was a festival bar on the left in a brightl;ylit room - but obvs, I couldn't see it!

Penultimate stop was Two Thirds - which was also busy. I got a pint of Triple Point and what was Sheffield Brewery People's Republic of IPA - initially I had to stand at the last available table but when the guy came to collect the glasses I asked him for a chair and he got me one straight away!

Having missed the Little Critters at Gin Bar as I assumed they would all be in bottle, which they weren't) I finished in the Broadfield, where I had an excellent pint of Abbeydale Voyager IPA on keg from the future!

I went straight home from, there and then on the Tuesday was discussing it with a chap who worked at the Broadfield - he said he appreciated the funds but was dissapointed to find it was mainly all Sheffield beers - not least becuase they are very prevalent in Sheffield. We discussed the suggestion of a whole West Bar beer festivalm - and that is wehere am going in an hour!

Cheers!

Wee Befy

No comments:

Post a Comment