Tuesday 9 March 2021

Tzatziki sour......

 Evening everyone!


Whilst I realise that many of you are currently rolfing into your rice crispies, before continuing I would like to provide some background......

Whilst am not a member of any club, or Clurrubp" as Vic Reeves may have espoused,nsider myself one of the beer loving community, albeit meaning different things to so very many, and an enthusiast of drinking and trying beers, old and new, in a number, slightly less so at the moment admittedly, of locations. I would be the first to admit that I realise that I perhaps overly favour DIPAs and IPAs - although, of course, it would be nonsense to suggest I drink too much....but given current trends and developments, I often feel I am letting the same said groupings down by trying less sour beers.

As you may recall, my thus far favourite was Llamass Harvest goosbery sour by that Welsh brewery, that had a name - warned as I was that it may melt my face off, I nonetheless ordered a pint of it for me and Tash each. We loved it.

I have, perhaps unsurprisingly, only ever tried 3 Tzatziki sours - the first was in Shakespeares back in 2017, by the sadly long closed Mad Hatters brewery in Liverpool - as expected, the name alone caused a manner of mortification, whereas I had and enjoyed two whole pints. Perhaps this is because I like tzatziki.....

The next was not named as such but was a wild garlic IPA by Lost Industry here in Sheffield. Once again horror accompanied it, not just the name but in some circumstance the taste. Probably lacking cucumber, I have to admit that despite not actually being tzatziki flavoured I quite liked it, but a wild foraged tzatziki IPA would have perhaps suited better.

Last year or before, Maltgarden Browari came along. I had already tried a few of their excellent stouts, along with stumbling through opening their ridiculous wax capped can, and then bought a can of Tzatziki pastry sour with Pink Guava, Mango and cucumber. On Saturday I had quite a few beers - and this was the absolute best!

I drank the whole can in about ten minutes. It was ludicrously easy drinking - but also featured a distinctive but perhaps created tzatziki flavour along with the excellence of the pastry elements. It tasted very strongly of the cucumber and as I admit, the tzatziki I imagined but impressively the other flavours blended in so well together! I used it as a palate cleanser, but as soon as I had finished it I wanted some more.....

As I have admitted I do love tzatziki - I even make my own, possibly twice each year. And I also love trying it when I visit Crete. This particular brew was carried out by a collab of Maltgarden and Seven Island Brewing in Corfu or similar and it was called Corfu Food Advisor. I would love to try another soon.

Am not convinced that this settles all of my anxieties about how the young uns in the beer world (without mentioning the dire craaaft) continue to perceive my consumption of their wares, but I have to say that this was a gem!

If you do, or even if you don't, like tzatziki, I would highly recommend a try.

Cheers!

Wee Beefy

No comments:

Post a Comment