Tuesday 17 March 2020

The Oxbow

Hulloo again,

      a month or two ago myself Tash and Matty bumped into veritable Sheffield beer legend Peter Hudson, wot rites the Sheffield pub blog - here is his blog address link: sheffieldalepub  in Two Sheds on Crookes. I had already noticed, perhaps through the drinking craft beer in Sheffield group on Faceache, that a new micropub had opened in Woodhouse Mill, and he had been days earlier. After a debate about where it was (given his surname he referenced Hudson Lane) we had a good chat and I was pleased to hear him tell me that it was exactly as described on their Faceache page and was very enjoyable. So on the 29th February, now over two weeks ago, I planned my first visit.

Walking to the bus stop the trip started well as a 52 Stenchcrotch bus turned up first - the Wirst 52A am fairly sure does not go up Furnace lane but the 52 does - that said I alighted on the last stop on Retford Road to catch a glimpse of the bus timetable coming back for later, before walking round the corner.

Described by some friends as Purdy's, which was, or probably still is, very nearby, this micropub sits at the junction of tiny Hudson Lane and the busy Furnace lane, and has a sign outside, although outside drinking is not allowed unfortunately. Inside, on the bar are four handpumps with  four beers on cask from the past and four kegs from the future, including Freedom lager, and a dark beer, as well as possibly a box of cider, along with wines and canned beers in the fridge.

I started on the Toucan play at that game from Brew York, an American pale ale at 4.5% on cask. This was ludicrously easy drinking and I was back in ten minutes for another. An excellent start. After this I got a pint of Heathen on keg from the future and sat by myself near the door assessing the wines before chatting to the man who runs the bar, who comes all the way from daarn saarf in Essex. It was good to chat to him about his venture and also his plans for the future - he suggested he was thinking of widening his can and bottled beers choice and recently on Faceache I saw him post that he had a number of decent cans - although, alas, a check of Faceache just now suggests I may have imagined this - he is called Dave by the way, and the lovely lady who also served me was probably called Rachael - both fine folk!

On my third pint I was starting to get hungry - and they have a good range of snacks and other snafflements. From the box on the left end of the bar I went for a pack of  Ten Acre "when chicken got barbecued" crisps, which are vegan approved, as well as a small bag of Posh Nosh Southern Chipotle bites. Both were well priced, and crucially, delicious.

Dave had told me that they were putting a fourth keg on soon and it was a Buxton IPA. And at 18.30 this did indeed happen, resulting in my coming away with an absolutely cracking soupy IPA at about 6.5% on keg from the future. This slab of hoppy delights was very easy to drink and finished the night off a treat, and although I had to leave at 19.50 to head into town I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed my  nearly three hours at this excellent establishment.

Wishing all their staff and customers the very best of health, and of course luck with trade, over the coming months (what with the restrictions which are being put in place). I look forward to seeing you all again in April.

Cheers!

Wee Beefy

No comments:

Post a Comment