Tuesday 13 July 2021

QIPA, I have heard........

                Evening readings - soz for the lack of recent posts. Since my thus far unreported meet up with chums in Shakespeare's fabulous beer and cider house the day before my birthday, have probably only been out four times, and even then, not to anywhere new. Not that they have been uninteresting.......so, tonight am here to describe a recent haul reflected move towards a reference, to what I imagine may have started in Belgium - to the suggestion of a quadruple IPA.

At the point I type this I can hear the mutterings - surely its just a triple IPA, surely there is no history of QIPA's, surely its just a fad - or, more ridiculous - "ar lass drunk keg back in 1969 n v nivver done sor since" - a scarcely reasonable quote from 2012, which I still hear from CAMRA remembers far too frequently. And which am not yet over.

So I bought a can of Fresh from the North, a 12.2% QIPA from Northern Monk, in can from the future, at the beginning of the month. Tonight I found it's best before was the 8th July, but if I had been more careful reading the label I assure you I would have supped it last week. That said it is 12.2%. I think, and now know, it doesn't disappoint.

I saw my chum, and possibly yours, Robert J Ward, supping and revealing this delight once arriving, or perhaps the night before going to, Seahouses in the marvelous North East. I may have already secured one - if not I did straight away, or ASAP. Tonight I finally opened it - and as hoped, it successfully blends a slab of hops with the natural and seemingly unavoidable "joy" of alcoholic sweetness. I also have to admit that I have found about a 5th of a pint of soup in the can bottom, and heinous as it may sound, I have very much enjoyed adding it to the glass!

So is it a QIPA? Well, sadly, after my all too regular search of the first page of google for info, details of QIPA are at best thin on the ground. The review that came up was for Polly's Spectrum, featuring possibly Spectrum hops, but definitely Mosaic and Citra. Am sure it was ace - sadly that is now sold out. Otherwise it's just Pomona Island and Northern Monk, that have brewed this style, although am sure that others exist. A following search to include "Belgian" at the start brought no other info. Whilst admittedly an at least poor search, I have to say that to start with at least, QIPA has not existed for very long at all. Please feel free to correct me if am wrong.

For me I can see that the issue stems perhaps from the idea of using 4 times the amount of hops and perhaps malt in any brew - already modern brews contain an oft increased and simultaneously amazing amount of hops, so arguably that would not be required. Except - in this case - the strength of the alcohol means that a large slab of hops in fact benefits the taste throughout.

Am still very slowly and I admit enjoyably, drinking the brew now. It is in fact a very admirable undertaking. I know that I like Northern Monk but am happy to say that not only does this creation not disappoint, the lack of specific detail of the type of brew style available,  means that this is in fact a successful undertaking.

I hope that you also get chance to try a taste of this brew!

With kindest regards


Wee Beefy

No comments:

Post a Comment