Sunday 16 August 2020

Oldies and Newbies

Hellall,

      apart from my Derbyshire based sojourn recently I really haven't been out as many times as normal. But this month I have at least tried some venues that are new to me, whilst also trying out some old faves from the past. Here are some memories of such visits that have somehow filtered through.......

Starting on the 30th July (just to undo my previous statement), and myself and my friend Mr G went out for a few boohars starting at the Nags Head at Stacey Bank.  I first went for beer here when I recall it was still a Kimberley's pub when me and our lass were on a CAMRA pub of the month trip to none other than the Three Stags Heads at Wardlow Mires. The Three Stags was as always wonderful, but I don't recall being that impressed with the Nags. Nowadays it does a range of about six beers from Bradfield, sadly including their lower gravity and awful fruit nonsense, but noticably and crucially their excellent Farmers Pale and the Sixer. Once I had provided my details (I think....) I had two pints of the Pale and Mr G a beer shandy followed by a soft drink. We sat outside in the sunshine and chatted lengthily, enjoying our rural location. I then suggested we went somewhere new....

Using a mixture of knowledge and Nav suggestions we soon found our way out of Stannigton and it wasn't long before we dropped into Bakewell. We immediately found the Joiners Arms pub and parked in the yard outside. It was initially busy when we went in but soon quietened down and Mr G had a soft drink and I a pint of Abbeydale Heathen on keg from the future. Once we had acquired a seat at a table we relaxed and spent a good couple of hours in the pub on what was both our first visit's. We got chatting to the lass behind the bar, and found the atmosphere was enjoyable, and crucially they had installed an in one end out the other system along with markings on the floor to keep people apart. I went for a pint of the 6% Peak Ales  IPA on Cask from the Past, and despite being surprised by it's high cost am well aware that Bakewell is an expensive place to rent - and of course, they had been shut for nearly 4 months so needed to recoup some costs. Overall this was a highly enjoyable first visit.  And we still had time to be seated and table served at the excellent Shakespeares in Sheffield en route home, where I had beers, which had names, and everything......

Earlier this month I met up with the excellent Robert J Ward and his mate Mr Pickles in Bar Stewards before we headed for a pop up pub in Neepsend. I started on a pint of Abbeydale Heathen on cftp and then had a can of the excellent North Kveik IPA before we set off. Ace boohars as always here. After walking past the K.i.T and then the Ball Street Bridge bars and the Gardeners we eventually found Heist Craft Brewery's pop up bar set in a car park further along Neepsend lane. Sadly by the time we got there around 19.00 or so they had run out of much of their beers, sadly including their one featuring the wonderful Kveik, but their All Together beer industry IPA was still available in cans, so we had a can each of this whilst sat in the far corner watching people come and go, including a group of six who simply grabbed take out food from the burger van and escaped by taxi! Having never made it Heist's place in Clowne, am really looking forward to them opening their multi kegged tap room next door to the Gardeners in the next year.

Speaking of which, we couldn't get in the Gardeners as it was filled up so we wandered up the hill to the Forest for a pint each, somewhere elese I haven't been for a while. There were three Tool Makers ales on and I had a red one and the other two a pale before we got sat down in the back for a natter and a sup. Robert J Ward (for that is his name) had never been here before but quickly realised its a good friendly boozer.

From here the three of us sat in the Kelham Island Tavern in the back room, after a minor hassle getting in, where I was on a couple of pints of  the Blue bee Confusion Black IPA which was delicious, as we thoroughly enjoyed our Yorkshire Day supping!

The last place I have been for the first time is the Early Bar on Crookes. I had heard a micropub had opened in the former butchers shop at the top of School Road just before lockdown but having closed on 20th March I was worried it may never open again. Luckily, owner Joe reopened quite soon in July and I have now been there twice, including stopping for a couple of pints with WK after our walk up Rushup edge and down into Edale. I was on pints of Abbeydale Orion on cftp, and a keg American IPA whose name sadly escapes me. Before we left we managed to get a seat on the tables outside and sat there watching the last of the day's sunshine. Here's hoping this place stays open and thrives as restrictions are slowly reduced.

The last two gasps from the past were the Old Queens Head, where I went on Friday and enjoyed half a bottle of wine along with three excellent pints of Abbeydale Orion once more - and I hear they are still doing their excellent Garlic soup so it's somewhere I intend to revisit. And the last was the recently reopened Three Tuns on Silver Street Head. My friend Peter Hudson had been in that day and had a pint of Old Peculier on cask for £3.00 a pint, and although it's not as good as it used to be I had a pint of that last night and it was excellent. The pub was busy and playing some excellent music and rumour has it that they may start serving food again so that is somewhere to keep an eye on!

Overall I have really enjoyed my pub visits, and am glad to see that all those visited have installed their own regulations and sensible restrictions in order to try and reduce the spread of Covid-19 whilst allowing safe supping.

Your very best of health!

Wee Beefy  

No comments:

Post a Comment