Saturday 29 February 2020

Payday away day

Afternooo

     I once again must apologise about the use of the phrase I have chosen for this post - since, whilst I am treating myself to a trip to York later this month with Tash and Matty, I haven't in the details below, in fact left the wonderous area that I most regularly imbibe in.

So, after getting some fairly crap news at work, whatever that is, I met up with Tash on the 27th and bless her, to cheer me up. she took me out to the Bankers Draft for a curry tea and a drink. That said, although I appreciate the low prices, and sometimes the local ales, I do tend to find all visits to such a place quite a long winded episode with as many lows as highs. This time there were twenty people at the bar, most ordering food, and only one member of staff serving and this explains, rather than justifies, them not turning round the pump clips of the beers that were off, and perhaps also them recommending a gin for Tash that wasn't on the list of free drinks, along with not telling me that the naan bread or another snack was extra. That said I did order it to the wrong number of the table, and it came quickly. And the pint of Pride of Sheffield from Kelham Island was nice.

After seeing Tash off on the tram I wandered down to Shakespeares where they had a Howling Hops TTO and meet the brewer evening on, with the launch of some Yonder brewing keg stuff later. I and many others love Howling Hops beers and we were not disappointed - however, being the day before pay day I only managed to afford two thirds before heading home.

I started on Flashpoint, a 6.2% NEIPA on keg from the future which was excellent. Whilst at the bar I had a quick chat to Sean, who had a surname beginning with G, or any other numerous British letters, who was a sales rep and possibly also a brewer at the brewery. He kindly gave me a taste of his Roll on NEIPA at 7.1%. Both beers were beautiful, and he referenced their tank bar in London, which I am fairly sure is the only tank served brewery tap bar in London, or perhaps in the UK? It was great to catch up with him either way, and having seen Adam and Brett Morgan and others briefly, including a char with Brian who is still "ticking" at the age of eighty, this was the perfect inspiration to get a third of the Roll On NEIIPA next. A fabulous night.

Yesterday, having left work at 17.30. I returned to my second home and had a couple of pints of the excellent Howling Hops XX Pale at 5.2% on cask from the past. Loved a lot by Adam and many others this was on fabulous form, and went down well whilst I caught up with Mizzder Grizzwiggs from work with his three friends, Ian, Dave, and Jordan, whom am certain will be entirely happy with my pointing out, that  reminded me a lot of John Rchardson.

I then had a half of the Neepsend 8% IPA or DIPA Hanuman, which was wonderful, and which I despatched sat round the back of the bar with fellow Sheffield beer blogger Peter Hudson.

After popping across the road to Bar Stewards to make a payment I didn't have time to stop,  and next walked straight up to the Crow where I saw Mizzder Grizzwiggs once again as well as Steve Lycett with a number of folk. Having splashed out on a black pudding scotch egg I joined them at a table drinking a whole pint of North Brewery DIPA on keg from the future, before they very generously offered me a chunk of one of many pizza's they had ordered. As they went to the bar they very kindly bought me a pint of Abbeydale Heathen on cask and I was just supping the same when Chris Grant surprisingly wandered in! As we were both quite warm and it was very busy I went outside to dry a couple of chairs and we sat in the beer garden together finishing our drinks and chatting.

Despite only having had 4 and a half pints I suggested to Mr G that he drove me home, but I did get a take out can of 8% DIPA from a Netherlands Brew Pub called De Krommer Harring. I will be drinking this later today whilst watching the undoubtedly awful football results coming in....

So, despite somethings, its been an absolutely fabulous few days so far, and in the month ahead its Sheffield Beer Week - so have a look at the events and other details on the website here for details on what is happening, when, and where!

Wishing you your very best of health on what is possibly my first ever February 29th blog post!

Cheers!

Wee Beefy
      

No comments:

Post a Comment