Tuesday 24 March 2020

Sheffield Beer Week

Eefnin,

      I think its fair to say that the timing of this year's Sheffield Beer Week was simultaneously brilliant and horrific - it was especially fortuitous that the event finished on the 15th of March, especially given the horrors announced on the twentieth, but that also represents the worst outcome - the initial closure of all pubs followed by their resounding efforts to arrange collection to take out which has now also been scuppered, is one of the worst things that could have happened to the many excellent folk running many equally excellent boozers. And worse than that it is entirely understandable, hence the finishing date representing such bad news.....

As many of you may know, I have found myself a trifle brassic of late - so I only got to four other Beer Week events in total, three of which alas were just brief stops. And only one was a full on "session" at my third home, details of which will follow on further down...

The first in fact came after I had already been to the Indy Beer Feast at Abbeydale Picture House. I chose not to post about it here since I was blogging exclusively about the festival but afterwards I did have sufficient crumbs to visit the marvelous Jabeerwocky on London Road. I had seen on Faceache that they were having a Wylam tap takeover on that same day so despite aiming to head out for scran I popped into the same to spend a few cohens, as WF would say, on a third - this time of the ace "Its not the end of the world but you can see it from here", an excellent DDH extra pale featuring El Dorado, Idaho 7, Citra and Azacca. I really enjoyed supping this sat at the table on the left and reading the other delights on offer.

On the Thursday, which I believe was the 12th, I headed into Bar Stewards after work for their excellent Pressure Drop and North Brew Co tap takeover. Original plans had been to perhaps set up a bar outside to serve more kegs but as supplies had already been a little low there were only two kegs not on so that idea was scrapped. Some folks did venture outside but I got a seat near the right hand wall and supped my delicious half of 5.2% Pressure Drop Tomorrows World which was an NEIPA. Alas this was simply too easy to drink and it wasn't long before I had finished that and moved on. Up next was a half or possibly two thirds of the North Brew Co Waving Flags which was a 7% DDH IPA, also on keg. This was likewise too easy to drink but I did slow down a little with some scran.

The 5% Voulez Vous saison on keg from Pressure Drop was my next half, an event which co-incided with my bumping into Michelle and her other half Vin for the first time in ages! I got them sat near me and, alas for them, that little fire, and we got chatting. It was great to catch up and upon hearing the maudlin announcement of a quiz, I decided to help us through it with a whole pint of the 8.5% DIPA Big House Waltz from North Brew Co - every bit as wonderful as I had hoped, and went down a lot slower than I had expected.

It turned out the quizzings was about boozers so I would probably have done alright but I persuaded my two chums to head up to the Crow for their last one. Here I had a fabulous half of IPA or perhaps a DIPA also from North, possibly, on keg from the future, and I thoroughly enjoyed it whilst we planned how to get M and V up to the tram to escape home.

Beer finished they headed off and I went back to Bar Stewards to find out that the quiz had finished and to have a couple of finishers, including another half of tomorrows World DDH NEIPA which I sat at one of the tables to drink, and possibly another, before sensibly deciding to head home. Despite not perhaps having much involvement with the Crow's event I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed both events entirely, the Tomorrow World and Big House Waltz probably being my favourite brews of all.

The final event was with Mr Grant on Friday the 13th that same week where we popped into Shakespeares to discover that they had their Collabracadabra on, mostly upstairs. On the recommendation of Jason I started on a fab pint of Shakespeares and Pentrich Brewing IPA on cask from the past and only £3.90 a go! It was a Hazy Pale, assuming, optimistically, that my memory works, and having quickly dispensed that I headed upstairs to grab a Beatnikz Republic US IPA and fetched a half of the Atom IPA for Mr G. It was good to bump into Curtains up there, as well as Dave Unpro and many others, and I followed this with another pint on cask of the Blue Bee pale which, given its appearance was not a black IPA, before I got a last half of Abbeydale dry hopped Voyager. It was great to catch up with the man from Blue Bee brewery - whose name I forgot then so you have no chance! - as well as various folk from Shakespeares including brewing sensation Lucienne Pinglewick to whom a massive amount of credit must be applied.

Thanks once again to the fabulous Jules for organising yet another sensational selection of beers and events and again to all the excellent folk running our cracking Sheffield boozers who made such a huge effort to up their game and provide a scintillating selection of ales for the event.  

Alas I do not know when trips to any of such boozers can happen again but I hope that in the upcoming period of closure we can outstay the COVID 19 outbreak and return, healthily, to trips to the pubs as soon as its safe.

Cheers!

Wee Beefy    

No comments:

Post a Comment