Monday 16 March 2020

Indy Beer Feast 2020

Artnoo yall,

      this year I was lucky enough once again to be able to return to the Indy Beer Feast at the Picture House Social in Abbeydale, sunniest Sheffield. And indeed it was sunny - despite my recent neshness I was so warm when I walked down the road that I even rolled up my sleeves - and I was only wearing three layers. Unfortunately this "hot" weather at 11 degrees also warranted an unpleasant appearance enroute by what I described as the recalcitrant unwashed. I know we have far fewer belting hot summers but I think my recently added non use of public transport may warrant an extension if we ever get hot weather....

Once inside, and having introduced myself to a lovely lass who wanted to meet me based on my name on the list (this one, obvs) I walked into the festival and immediately started assessing the beers on offer. Many stood out but alas, having foolishly paid all my bills this month including Stepchange, I was down to just £9.00 for bowze. To start a trend of thirds, having spoken to folks from Lost Industry, I started at Black Iris.

One of the issues of having had about three phones since 2012, along with a potential movement of staff, is that its difficult to keep in touch with folk. On my third phone ago I used to have the numbers of two people, one of whom I may still be friends with on Faceache, who both worked with Black Iris brewery.  Alas despite often tasting and enjoying their beers at the Broadfield, and then much further afield including a beer festival at the Flower Pot in Derby, am not sure I ever met them - and am equally unsure that I kept their numbers. Introducing myself to the chap serving he didn't know who I was - and fearing looking a trifle foolish I quickly ordered my third of Lavender Grisette at 4.3% and made my way to seating. The beer was lovely by the way, as are all their beers.

After a quick look at the rather excellent range on offer at Turning Point who are almost entirely likely to be based in or from Kirbymoorside near York, I spotted my friends at St Mars of the Desert. I wandered over for a gawp at their ales and a chat and started on a third of their 6.9% Fieldmouse's Farewell, described as a golden and an extremely well rounded sup.  After a lengthy chat, including my making both Martha and Dann chuckle by stating that I had never seen his equipment on full display - you had to be there.... I sat down for a while before having a chat with a guy called Brett at Cloudwater's bar. Alas I could not take the opportunity to try anything because it was cash only and I only had 80 pence in my account but it was good to chat to him about their output and also to finish my beer, before moving onto the Abbeydale Brewery bar.

Having bumped into Dave Pickersgill once again and tried a mouthful of his super strong tasting BA 1868 at 11.7%! I went lower next with a third of their 4.3% Not just a phase, a citrussy well hopped pale brewed especially for beerweek. Having thoroughly enjoyed this, as well as taken a few stickers and badges as well as welcoming Christy with another excellent cask, I turned back up the hall and went to visit Torrside.

Torrisde, as any fuel kno, are based in New Mills in Derbyshire. And am certain their brewery tap will be open again soon - they do shut it in February and January as its too cold to heat with its ludicrously high ceillings. I enjoyed my catch up with two men who had human names, as well as trying a third of their Valour, a whopping 7.7% 1917 recipe imperial stout. Whilst there I also tried a taste of their Dogs of War bottled Eldeberry Barley Wine at 10%, before heading up to see the folk at Lost Industry.

By now I was starting to get quite cold - my sleeves had been rolled down by now I should point out - so I asked for a taster of their recent Wild honey Braggot. Am unable to remember it's strength, so no change there then, but I did thoroughly enjoy it and my catch up with those that I chatted to. Next I moved onto both the Double Barrelled and Orbit beer stands. At Double Barrelled, whom I suspect may be from Reading,, I tried some of their excellent Parka, a 4.5% Citra Dry Hopped Pale, and at Orbit I purchased a delicious third of their Nico Kolsch lager. As well as a couple of their beers on draught they also sold large strong bottled versions for a tenner each - and the Kolsch was excellent. I also found time to have a quick chat with the lass behind the Anarchy Brew Co stand, and to point out that the last time I had tried one of the beers she had on was up in Berwick, which is at least nearby their brewery...

My last stop was once again at St Mars of the Desert and I finished on a third of their Long Way Round - a truly excellent Citra NEIPA at 5.4% brewed with Young Master, which is either an ingredient, a person, or a copy of an early Jackie Chan film.....

I said my goodbyes to Martha and went and sat up at the top with a man from Doncaster who I have seen since but cannot quite remember the name of - really interesting to meet a man of his slightly older age who was more than happy to try keg beers in what was after all, an almost entirely keg only festival (there may have been hand pumps on the Thornbridge Bar but am not sure....).

Thank you once again to organiser Jules who provided me with a trade ticket, and to all the amazing brewery staff and their equally excellent products which managed to provide an excellently wide ranging selection of delicious potations for everyone to try. And, as with last time there wasn't a bad beer on and all the brews were reasonably priced.  

Really looking forward to returning in March 2021 for the next Sheffield Beer Week Indy Beer Feast!

Cheers!

Wee Beefy

No comments:

Post a Comment