Tuesday 28 June 2022

Derbyshire, Cheshire and a touch of Staffordshire.....

 Evening all!


         on Sunday I was collected by my great friend Mr G for our next crawl around the best pubs in Derbyshire (and beyond). Having failed last time to adequately check out the George ta Alstonefield (lost to food and no beer) I was determined to get this right. I googled the Crag Inn at Wildboarclough and found that it had doubled up as still a pub but mainly as a water bar - having found a spring on the property. According to Whatpub it was still a pub and served two real ales. I decided to go.

After an hour and twenty minutes we arrived in the glen like Wildboarclough and turned into the Crag Inn car park. We spotted folks sat outside with beers so assumed everything was fine - and got in and found they no longer sell drauught beer, or any other draught drinks. They did however sell bottles from Nearby Wincle brewery, although, not from the fridge, and we sat down with a bottle each of Wandering Wallaby and chatted. Whilst there about 20 people came in asked what they sold on draught - qall were told the answer was none. Having passed through a room end and corrridor of bottled water I visited the loo - finding handwash but only a single wet towel to dry my hands on. Whilst Mr G went to the same I asked the guy behind the lit, blue bar, what the deal was re it being a pub - he said they hadn't been a pub for two years, and now no longer sold real ale. Sound familiar?

Back in the car I recalled this to Mr G and he said - we could have paid £15 each for a mineral water e3xperience. But who would?

Driving into Wincle we lost connection to the Sat Nav and for some reason my phone so we asked a couple sat outside the Ship if they knew where Wincle Brewery was - luckily it was just down the road on the right in Danebridge! Soon there they had a tasting room selling a large number of bottles and three handpulled beers - I went on a pint of Wincle Hen Cloud andf a half of Straight Furrowand Mr G a half of Hen Cloud and we basked in the sunshine outside. An excellent stop.

Next we drove into Macclesfield and quickly found and parked accross from the excellent Red Willow Tap. Three real ales and about 14 kegs saw Mr G on alcohol free lager and myself on a pint of their 6.7% IPA! lovely place, and selling excellent Black pudding and mustard crisps, after a half of the sadly disappointing  Kernel Porter, we used Mr G's phone to walk up to the Park Tavern on Park Road about 5 minutes away.

This is a pub ran by Bollington Breweryu and they had about 8 of their beers on, including on Keg. I went for a pint of their Eastern nights with Mr G on a soft drink before heading back to the car. One thing I will say about the Park Tavern is that it was drearily dark sinside - yet on the way out down a passage behind the bar there was a lovely, bright - yet empty - room, at the front.

Our last stop was the pub of the night - the excellent Three Stags Heads at Wardlow Mires. First visit for may years and sadly I was unable to see Pat after the sad passing of Geoff on Good Friday. The range is similar but two Abbeydale and two guests - I started on the Black Lurcher (obvs) and Mr G a half of Deception. Was absolutely fabulous to catch up with former Barman/or/Landlord Robin, whom I had a good chat with!

Just one note btw - as I always remember - the pub is cash only - just for info!

Mr G dropped me in town and I got a tram to the Welly for a pint of Kernel and then went to Tesco for scran and ended up in Shakespeares, where I saw the lovely Abbeydale couple of Jim and Laura.

Anoother fabulous and enjoyable day out with my mate.

Cheers!


Wee Beefy

1 comment:

  1. It’s a great drive to The Crag Inn and it’s in lovely surroundings, but their refocus on water seems a feverish misstep.

    ReplyDelete