Saturday 13 April 2019

Wisewood Wander

Afternoo,

     the first thing I should point out about this post is it doesn't include many pubs in Wisewood. I didn't go to the Castle for example, and in some ways, the first two pubs are actually in Loxley. The theme of this post is therefore deliberate misinformation. I did however, start at the Wisewood Inn.....

I had been to the Northern General to see a man about an issue and had caught the tortuous rambling 97 to Hillsborough and jumped om the 52A. I alighted just off Loxley Road and walked past Christingpher's house up to the Wisewood Inn. I had a pint of Marble Cross Collar on keg, a 5.2% West Coast style IPA made with the assistance of and with hops from Brook House Hops in Herefordshire. Having clambered carefully down the steps from the pool room I was soon sitting by myself in glorious sunshine at one of the tables overlooking the Loxley Valley. It was warm and oozingly relaxing. My second pint was a Wisewood 6 which was also a pale ale, but at possibly 4.8%. As it was reduced in price for the happy hour (I only found this out from the receipt!) it was a bargain at £2.40 a pint. Fabulous beer and scenery as always.

From here I set off on foot to the Nags Head at Stacey Bank, however I did quickly stop off at the Admiral Rodney for a pint of Wainwright on cask. The Roders is not my usual stop for a beer but despite the company of a gaggle of elderly gammons I sat outside in the warm sunshine enjoying my beer and the view very much.

Its not too far along Loxley Road from here to the Nags Head and I arrived about 45 minutes later. Luckily you can pay on card and they also do cashback - seeing as how I had just 5 pence on me after buying an all day saver ticket this was much appreciated. Sadly I have not seen Sixer for a while, and, maybe because all beer from Bradfield costs £2.50 a pint, it wasn't on here. Instead I had a pint of Bradfield Pale Ale, which aside the Sixer is my favourite Bradfield Beer. I sat on a bench outside, in the sun, and asked Matty if he wanted to join me. Several explanations of the times of the 61 and 62 followed as did two or three more pints of the Pale. When Matty arrived 90 minutes later we had just enough time for him to down a pint before walking to the bus stop to move on.

We didn't bother visiting the Horns at High Bradfield, although their beer garden would have been lovely, instead we got off outside the Plough in Low Bradfield and popped inside. I got a 4.2% beer which was either a new Bradfield or a guest, and Matty got something else. Now on my seventh pint I was relieved to find that they serve food all day so we ordered scran - Steak and ale for me and Meat and potato pie with chips veg and gravy for him. The meal came quite quickly and absolutely did the trick, with both plates being returned empty. We finished our ales in the beer garden, now noticeably chillier, before heading to catch the bus.

With funds shortening we didn't stop at the Royal at Dungworth and instead headed all the way back to Hillsborough. We then caught the tram to Shalesmor and popped in the Wellington. Here I had a single hopped pale ale from Neepsend which had a name, comprising of letters. We also bumped into the lovely Vikkie and John Brightmore, who was bemoaning the event of his curry the night before with Davefromtshop and others.

After a single pint in here we walked down to the Bar Stewards where I had a pint of North Riding (or Arbor) and Matty a can of Deya Just a Glimmer Pale ale which we shared. A fabulous hoppy end to a wonderful day of ales pubs and walking.

Cheers!

Wee Beefy

1 comment: